Britain is living and breathing sport as London 2012 started a few days ago and we all want to be winners and be part of it.
Since not all of us could be official sponsors for the Olympics here we suggest the following fun ways to engage your marketing with the current event.
Get into the spirit of London 2012 by
- Offering a discount or vouchers for every medal the UK wins, for example: 10% discount for every gold medal, 5% for every silver medal and 3% discount for every bronze medal
- As an organisation, support your chosen athlete or team throughout the Olympics. So if he or she wins give the first 10 consumers 20% discount or treat your staff as a celebration
- For restaurants and bars, name one of your items as your favourite athlete’s name and dedicate one of the evenings for certain sports, e.g. evening of cycling or archery
- Tailor a service for sports men and women e.g. how about a massage fit for a champion swimmer?
- Reward a customer who can guess how many of each medal the UK athletes will bring home from London 2012
However you must be careful with your marketing text due to restrictions and rules of London 2012 branding; if you use any of the following words and phrases you may face fines.
- The controlled representations are:
- The Olympic Symbol (ie the five interlocking rings)
- The Olympic Motto (‘Citius Altius Fortius’ / ‘Faster Higher Stronger’)
- The words: “Olympic(s)” “Olympiad(s)”“Olympian(s)” (or anything similar to them, or translations of them)
- The Paralympic Symbol (ie the three “agitos”)
- The Paralympic Motto (Spirit in Motion) the words: “Paralympic(s)” “Paralympiad(s)” “Paralympian(s)”(or anything similar to them, or translations of them)
The full guidelines of London 2012 Brand protection are available at: http://www.london2012.com/documents/brand-guidelines/statutory-marketing-rights.pdf
Also read a blog post about London 2012 logo design by our senior designer Jonathan here
So have fun but make sure you stick in the guidelines.